https://mandicrocker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/chorizo-skillet-4774-1.jpg 2984 4505 mandi /wp-content/uploads/2016/11/logo-site-hearts.png mandi2018-05-13 20:51:092018-05-13 20:51:09Chorizo SkilletPrint
I know Mother’s Day isn’t an easy day for everyone. Some couples can’t have children or have lost their little ones… didn’t grow up with ‘The World’s Greatest Mom’….or chose not to have children which can sometimes be a painful decision in hindsight… whose mothers have passed… That is why, as a new mom, on my very first Mother’s Day, I’m just sooo extremely grateful for the opportunity to be one. This little ham hock is the coolest, funniest little cooing, hiccuping, laughing weirdo… and I have a great husband that cares about his girls so much. I just find myself extremely lucky for my life, the people in it and this milk sucking glow worm that softens my heart everyday. I do my best not to take it for granted. What a great and awesome responsibility…
This morning my husband asked me if I wanted anything special for breakfast. I began making this- ha! I’ve been doing my best to eat heart healthy so it’s nice to splurge. I’m not sure why I didn’t just hand the recipe over to him while I binge-watched ‘Younger’ for the second time but alas… I must really like cooking? (Remind me of this come Thursday when my back aches, Ruby’s crying and cooking is the last thing I want to do!) 😉
I hope you all are having a wonderful Mother’s Day! I know I’m feeling very blessed. 🙂
Spicy chorizo mixed with crispy shredded potatoes, crunchy vegetables and a hit of citrus. Yum... 🙂
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 oz pkg of chorizo
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 1 cup cilantro, leaves picked and reserved for garnish, stems minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 mini bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 hearty handful of spinach, coarsely chopped
- 5 sticks of asparagus, chopped
- 1 T. lime juice
- 4-5 eggs
- salt & pepper, to taste
- red & green salsa
- lime wedges
- cheddar cheese
- parmesan cheese
- sour cream
- cilantro, for garnish
- In a 10 or 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. While chorizo is cooking, squeeze out access moisture from grated potatoes with a paper towel. When chorizo is cooked, set aside on a plate.
- To the skillet, add the onions and minced cilantro stems. Cook for about five minutes until the onions have caramelized, 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan, sauté the asparagus and bell pepper. Season lightly with salt & pepper. Add the spinach and set aside.
- Add the butter to the onion pan. Add grated potatoes and mix. Press the mixture into an even layer and let cook until golden and crispy, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, then cook, stirring constantly until the potatoes are evenly crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Add the reserved chorizo and veggies to the skillet. Stir in the lime juice.
- Make 4-5 wells in the hash and crack an egg into each one. Season each egg with salt & fresh ground pepper. Cook, covered, until the whites are just set, 3 to 4 minutes. Garnish with the toppings of your choosing and serve! 🙂
Adapted from The Tasting Table
Adapted from The Tasting Table